Saturday, April 30, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Every year growing up, we always had Corned Beef and Cabbage. Well I was really wanting it this year, since I haven't gotten it in the last 2 years. So I made it. The recipe is super easy. Buy the corned beef at the store. It comes with a little packet of spices that you throw in with it. Easy, right?? All you do is put the beef in the crock-pot with the spice packet and cover with water. I also added a whole head of cabbage diced into quarters about 30 minutes before eating.  On the package, it will tell you how long to cook it!

To go with our Main Event, we would have a side of Irish Soda Bread! Yum!

Irish Brown Soda Bread

4 c. whole-wheat flour
1 c. bread flour
1/3 C. rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 C. buttermilk 

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. In a large bowl, stir together both flours, oats, soda and salt. Gently mix in the buttermilk until soft dough is formed. Knead very lightly. Divide dough into 4 rounded flat loaves with an X in the middle of each loaf. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. 

**Here are my adjustments: 
I did not have bread flour, or whole wheat flour, so I used regular all purpose flour. (It turned out just fine) I also made just two big loaves on one jelly-roll pan. This dough is a very wet dough, but it always turns out really yummy when it is finished. 

Also, I would look for a corned beef that is less fatty. (This tends to be a very fatty meat) It is so good when it isn't covered with fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment